County LogoClallam County, Washington

Forest Products

A Specialized Forest Products Harvesting Permit is required when harvesting and/or transporting the following:

  1. Christmas Trees
    Definition: Any type of tree such as Pine, Spruce, Fir, Hemlock, etc.
    Amount: More than 5 trees
  2. Native Ornamental Trees
    Definition: Any trees or shrubs, not nursery grown, removed from ground with the roots intact.
    Amount: More than 5 trees or shrubs
  3. Cut or Picked Evergreen Foliage
    Definition: Evergreen boughs, huckleberry, salal, fern, Oregon grape, rhododendron, mosses, bear grass, scotch broom. Not cones or seeds.
    Amount: More than 5 pounds
  4. Cedar Products
    Definition: Cedar shake boards, shake and shingle bolts, and rounds one to three feet in length.
    Amount: Any
  5. Cedar Salvage
    Definition: Cedar chunks, slabs, stumps, logs with greater volume than one cubic foot and:
    A. Being harvested or transported from areas not associated with logging of timber stands where:
    1. Application approved by DNR, or
    2. Contract or permit issued by U.S. Government.
    Amount: Any
  6. Processed Cedar Products
    Definition: Cedar shakes, shingles, fence posts, hop poles, pickets, stakes, rails, or rounds less than one foot in length.
    Amount: Any
  7. Wild Edible Mushrooms
    Definition: Edible mushrooms not cultivated or propagated by articificial means.
    Amount: Three gallons of single pieces of wild edible mushrooms and more than an aggregate total of 9 gallons of wild edible mushrooms, plus one wild edible mushroom.
  8. Cascara Bark
    Definition: The bark of the Cascara Tree.
    Amount: More than 5 pounds

A Specialized Forest Products Harvesting Permit is NOT required when harvesting and/or transporting the following:

  1. Nursery grown products.
  2. Logs (except "cedar salvage" definition), poles, pilings, or other major forest products from which all limbs and branches have been removed.
  3. Cedar Salvage when harvested concurrently with timber stand with approved forest practices application or with issued contract or permit by U.S. Government.

General Questions

  1. Do I need a permit to haul forest products from my own land?
    RCW 76.48.030(13) Yes.
    "Landowner" means, with regard to any real property, under one's control.
  2. Do I need a signature and place where I am taking the product?
    RCW 76.48.030(13) No.
    The law requires the signature of landowner where the product is being harvested, not where it is going.
  3. Do I need to have the harvesting permit with me?
    RCW 76.48.050(9) Yes.
    Except for the harvesting of Christmas trees, the permit or true copy thereof must be carried by the permittee and available for inspection at all times.
  4. Do I need a harvest permit for the market where I am taking the product?
    RCW 46.48.120(14) Yes.
    Buyers who purchase specialized forest products are required to record the permit number, the type of forest product purchased, the permit holder's name, and the amount of forest product purchased.
  5. What is meant by "Harvest Site"?
    RCW 97.48.030(16)
    Harvest site can mean as small as one person on your own property or more persons that are engaged in harvesting Specialized Forest Products close enough to each other that communication can be conducted in a normal conversational tone.

How to apply for a Forest Product Permit (no cost)

  • Applications may be obtained from DNR, and Forest Service Ranger Stations (Soleduck & Quilcene) for harvesting on their lands. Applications for private lands may be obtained from the Clallam County Sheriff's Department, in Port Angeles, or at our Detachment Offices in Forks and Sequim.
  • Permits must be signed by person hauling the product.
  • Permit must show picture I.D. number of person transporting product.
  • Permit must contain seal from validating agency.
    (RCW 76.48.130)
    Any person who violates shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 and or by imprisonment in the County Jail for not to exceed one year or both.

Firewood Permit Sources Information

Dept. of Nat. Resources
411 Tillicum Lane
Forks, WA 98331

U.S. Forest Service
Soleduck Ranger District
196281 Highway 101
Forks, WA 98331

M&R Pysht Tree Farm
11 Pysht River Road
Clallam Bay, WA 98326

U.S. Forest Service
Quilcene Ranger District
P.O. Box 280
Quilcene, WA 98376

The Campbell Group
301 E. Pioneer Avenue
Montesano, WA 98563

Cut Firewood Only

Definitions of "Firewood" differ. However, NEVER cut up logs or standing trees which are destined for other uses such as pulp, lumber, plywood or trees being grown for future timber harvests. During a logging operation trees are felled, limbs cut off, and trees cut into logs of specific lengths. These can be found along logging roads. Loggers refer to this as "felled and bucked" timber. Sometimes there will be several logs in a pile, which is called a "log deck". Timber like this is NOT firewood! Please do not cut these logs - the loggers' livelihood and the state's economy depend upon it. Only under certain circumstances do firewood permits include authority to cut standing, green trees.