County LogoClallam County, Washington

Residential Building Permits

This page explains the process to obtain a residential building permit.

Revised: February, 2017

When is a Building Permit Required?

A building permit is required if you erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, convert, or demolish a building or structure. This includes not only building construction or remodeling, but also such things as mobile home placement, wood stove installation, or plumbing modifications.

A building permit is not required for the following:

  1. Single story detached structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses - under 400 square feet of floor area, 6 feet away from existing buildings and classified as “U” occupancies.
  2. Fences not over 7 feet high.
  3. Retaining walls under 4 feet without a surcharge.
  4. Uncovered decks that are 30 inches or less above grade.
  5. Prefabricated, above grade swimming pools, less than 24 inches deep and under 5,000 gallon capacity.

See the Building Division for other exemptions.

Requirements Before You Apply

  1. Environmental Health Department approval on septic systems or permission to connect to community water or sewer systems.
  2. Two (2) sets of structural plans (download the Clallam County residential building permit packet).
  3. Public Works Department approval on drainage requirements.
  4. Public Works Department approval on road approach permits.
  5. When property is jointly owned or owned by others, letters from all owners must be submitted indicating project approval.
  6. If your site is near a water body or other critical area, special conditions may apply.
  7. Electrical permits are required and issued by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.
  8. Proof of potable water.
  9. If your lot has more than one road frontage, you must select a front yard for zoning setback purposes.
  10. Any parcel located in The Dungeness Water Rule Area may require mitigation for use of a well.

Application Requirements:

To apply for a building permit you must fill out a building permit application and a plot plan. They may be filled out in advance, or at the time of application. The information from the application will be used to process and issue the permit, or to determine additional information requirements.

Required information includes:

  • The parcel number of the property where construction will occur (the number in the upper right corner of your property tax statement.)
  • A written legal description of the property.
  • Your lot size (in acres or square feet).

Drawing Your Site Plan...

In addition to the application you must supply a site plan, showing the location of the proposed structure. A form is provided, or you may use your own sheet, but you must include all the applicable items in the following list:

  1. Location and widths of existing and proposed roads, easements, right of ways, and driveways (include road names).
  2. Location and dimensions of existing property lines.
  3. All water features (streams, lakes, ponds, irrigation ditches, etc.) and areas subject to flooding (show stream flow direction).
  4. Location and dimensions of existing and proposed structures, indicating use or occupancy of each (use crosshatching to identify proposed buildings or additions).
  5. Location of existing and proposed wells, septic tanks, septic drainfields, waterlines and power lines.
  6. Show approximate slope of land (grade and direction).
  7. Show cuts, fills, bluffs and steep banks, landscaping and existing vegetation.
  8. Setback distances from structures to roads, property lines, shorelines, and other structures.

Plan review fees are required at time of submittal. After plans are reviewed, no fees will be refunded.