County LogoClallam County, Washington

Property Room


^Arrow to Top^About the Property Room

The Property Room stores evidence, safekeeping and found property for both the Clallam County Sheriff's Office and the Olympic Peninsula Narcotics Enforcement Team. Property Officers are responsible for retrieving, securing and storing property and ensuring proper chain-of-custody in the event evidence is needed for court proceedings.

In addition, the Property Room disposes of narcotics; illegal, unclaimed or unwanted weapons and other property; and endeavor to return found property to the rightful owner(s). Disposal methods include incineration, destruction and auction.

NOTE: Return of property is governed by Federal and State Law.

^Arrow to Top^Appointment Policy

Appointments are required for all property releases. The Property Room operates two facilities -- our main office in the County Courthouse, and a large off-site warehouse. Most items are stored at our off-site warehouse, so appointments are necessary to allow for transport time to our office.

Picture ID (state-issued identification card, driver's license, passport or military ID) is required at time of release. Photocopies are not accepted.


^Arrow to Top^Auctions – Unclaimed or Abandoned Property

General property items are sent to for auction.

A limited number of firearms are auctioned in lots to federally licensed firearms dealers two to three times a year. Licensed dealers may contact Clallam County Property Room to be placed on the mailing list.

^Arrow to Top^Firearms Release Policy

Call and schedule an appointment for a firearm release. You must provide your full name (first, middle and last) and date of birth. Several background checks will be performed before your appointment to assist in determining eligibility for release of a firearm.

These checks can take several weeks and include:

  • Criminal History Check (on the applicant)
  • State Mental Health Checks (two (2) required by law)
  • Firearms Check (is the weapon stolen or has it been used in a crime)

The Property Room is unable to release firearms to individuals ineligible to possess weapons and you will be required to sign a form stating you are legally eligible to have weapons.

NOTE: Background checks are required for the release of any firearm.This is required even if you possess a Concealed Pistol License (CPL).

^Arrow to Top^How Can I Find My Lost, Stolen Or Found Items?

The best way to find property once it is lost or stolen is to have up-to-date records, pictures or video noting serial and model numbers if available, or to place an 'owner applied number' on items without a serial number. Unique numbers make identifying and matching items to the rightful owner simpler, as a national database is used to track stolen and recovered items via serial number once the item is reported lost, stolen or found. However, if this information is not available, a detailed description will help, as will a general idea of when and where the property was lost or stolen.

The Property Room holds found property for sixty (60) days, after which time items may be disposed of or auctioned per state law. Items of a personal nature (such as identification or credit cards) are destroyed, or (in the case of passports, military ID's EBT cards, or mail) returned to the proper agency.

To see if the Property Room is holding your found property, please be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • What is the property and description?
  • Does it have a serial number?
  • Where and when was it lost or stolen?
  • Did you report it lost or stolen?
  • Did you receive a phone call or letter notifying you of the recovery?

The Property Room will make every effort to return property to the rightful owner(s). If an item is turned in where it can be traced back to someone by name, phone number, address or serial number, a Property Officer will attempt to contact the owner via phone or letter to make arrangements to return the item.

^Arrow to Top^How Do I get My Property Back?

Safekeeping and Found Property:

Call the Property Room to schedule an appointment. If ownership cannot be determined or a firearm is involved, you may be required to obtain a property release.

If you are a defendant and your case is pending:

Contact your attorney or assigned council to request a property release from the Prosecutor's Office. Once that release is obtained, contact the Property Room to schedule an appointment.

If you are a victim, or a defendant on a closed case:

You must file a claim for your property with the Property Room in order to facilitate the return of property. Property Claim forms can be obtained at the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office or by printing the form here and submitting them during regular business hours.

Property_Claim_Form (PDF Format)

Review and processing may take up to four (4) weeks. Once the release is obtained, contact the Property Room to schedule an appointment. You may get the case number by contacting The Sheriff’s Office Records Division (360-417-2270).

To pick up your property you must have a valid ID and the service number for your case. Failure to claim your property in a timely manner (typically 60 days) may result in disposal of your property in accordance with RCW 63.40.

^Arrow to Top^How Do I Report Lost, Stolen Or Found Items?

To report an item stolen, found, or a firearm lost in Clallam County, please call the PenCom/Dispatch Center's non-emergency line at 360-417-2459. Provide the operator with as much information as possible, including the item's make, model, serial number or owner applied number.

^Arrow to Top^Mission Statement

The law enforcement property function exists to receive and safely store evidence, found property and property for safekeeping; and restore the property to its rightful owner or legally dispose of the property in a timely manner.

^Arrow to Top^What Happens To Found Property If The Owner Is Not Located?

Depending on the item's condition, after sixty (60) days the item will either be disposed of or auctioned per state law. The person who finds the property may request to claim the property if an owner is not found within the required time period. Claim paperwork may be obtained from the Property Room by calling 360-417-2268 and must be filed within seven (7) days of the find.

After receiving claim paperwork, the Property Room will place an ad in the Peninsula Daily News. If no owner appears within the sixty day time period, the finder has thirty (30) days to claim the item for a $10.00 fee.