County LogoClallam County, Washington

Jury Duty Information

Jury Selection

If you are selected for Superior Court Jury duty, your term will be two weeks.  However, that does not mean that you will spend the entire two weeks at the courthouse:  you are “on-call” for jury duty for any trial starting during your term.  A trial may extend beyond this term. 

Prospective jurors should call our recorded jury message line the Friday evening prior to their jury term at (360) 417-2450 for the latest information as to whether they may be required to report for service. 

State law mandates that jurors are selected from voter registration, driver’s license and identicard holders.

Juror Call-in procedure

The Courts use a call-in system with a recorded message to inform you if your service will be required.  The Jury Clerk will list your juror group # and advise you where and when to report.  Please listen to the complete message.  

The recorded message phone number is (360) 417-2450.
  • Call before your first assigned day of jury duty (anytime over the weekend after 5:00 p.m. Friday evening.
  • Call each subsequent evening during the week, after 5:00 p.m. or as directed the previous day on the recording.
  • If you have questions, please contact the Jury Clerk at (360) 417-2231 or email us using the "Email Us" button below.

When you first report for jury duty, have available your mileage from your home to the courthouse.

For additional information on steps taken to protect health and safety of jurors and fequently asked questions regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic and resuming jury trials, please visit the Special Jury Information during COVID-19 Pandemic page.

Jury Service – Frequently Asked Questions

Is jury service mandatory?        

            The United States Constitution and the Washington State Constitution guarantee the right to trial by jury.  Failure to attend as directed may subject you to penalties provided by state law.  All Clallam County residents are obligated by state law to serve as a juror unless they:          

  • Are not a United States citizen;
  • Are under 18 years of age;
  • Are unable to communicate in the English language; or
  • Are a convicted felon and your civil rights have not yet been restored.

I have a planned vacation on the date I have been summonsed.  Should I request an exemption?

            No.  Your jury duty obligation can be postponed (deferred) up to three times if you meet specific criteria.  You must request to postpone you service prior to your current report date.  To request a postponement, call (360) 417-2231.

I am self-employed.  Are the self-employed exempt form jury duty?

No.  There are no occupational or professional exemptions from this obligation of citizenship.

I have a medical condition that should preclude me from serving jury duty.  How do I get excused?

            If you are requesting an exemption due to a medical condition, please contact the jury clerk at (360) 417-2231 or email us using the "Email Us" button above. If your medical condition is a permanent condition that will not improve, you are required to submit a doctor’s letter requesting you be exempted. The letter must request your exemption be permanent or you may be called agin in the future.

I have a medical appointment on my jury duty date.  What should I do?

            Please consider the postponement option. To request a postponement, call (360) 417-2231 or email us using the "Email Us" button above.

I am unemployed and receiving unemployment benefits.  Will serving on jury duty affect my benefits?

            The compensation you receive for reporting as a prospective juror must be reported and deducted from your unemployment benefits.  For more information, visit the Washington State Employment Security Division webpage.

How many times can I postpone my service?

            You can postpone your jury service up to three times.  You should make arrangements to postpone your service prior to the date for which you are currently summoned.  Jury summonses are sent via bulk mail several months in advance.

Is there an age limit?

All jurors must be at least 18 years of age.  No citizen over 18 is excluded from consideration due to age.  If your physician feels your are physically unable to perform the duties of a juror, please ask her/him to submit a letter to the court supporting an exemption.

I know that I will not be selected to be on a jury because of what I do for a living.  Why not excuse me now and save time?

            Superior Court tries civil and criminal cases, both of which require juries.  The random selection process prevents you from knowing in advance what trial or even what type of trial you will be selected for.  Jury Service staff cannot excuse you as a potential juror because of what you do for a living, your family makeup, or events in your past.

Does my employer have to pay me while I serve?

            State law does not currently require employers to continue paying the salary of employees while they are serving as jurors.  However, many employers, including state and local government agencies, have a policy which compensates employees for at least part, if not all, the time spent for jury service.

All employers must provide a leave of absence, pursuant to RCW 2.36.165 -- Leave of absence from employment to be provided -- Denial of promotional opportunities prohibited — Penalty -- Civil action. This statute includes the following provisions:

(1) An employer shall provide an employee with a sufficient leave of absence from employment to serve as a juror when that employee is summoned pursuant to Chapter 2.36 RCW.

(2) An employer shall not deprive an employee of employment or threaten, coerce, or harass an employee, or deny an employee promotional opportunities because the employee receives a summons, responds to the summons, serves as a juror, or attends court for prospective jury service.

(3) An employer who intentionally violates subsection (1) or (2) of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(4) If an employer commits an act in violation of subsection (2) of this section the employee may bring a civil action for damages as a result of the violation and for an order requiring the reinstatement of the employee. If the employee prevails, the employee shall be allowed a reasonable attorney's fee as determined by the court.

(5) For purposes of this section employer means any person, association, partnership, or private or public corporation who employs or exercises control over wages, hours, or working conditions of one or more employees.

Can I volunteer for jury duty?

Current law makes no provision for volunteer jurors. The court relies on a process that assures a random selection from the entire county. This means that some will be called often and some citizens will never be summonsed. If you have served in the past year (12 months) Clallam County Superior Court is happy to excuse you from your current summons.

Will I be compensated for jury duty?

Yes. Jurors currently earn $10.00 per day of service. If you drive to the courthouse and park, you will be given a mileage allowance as well.

What if I have recently served? Can I be excused?

If you have reported for jury duty in Superior Court within the past 12 months, we are happy to excuse you from your current summons.

I have lost my jury summons. What should I do?

If you have lost your Clallam County Superior Court summons, please contact the Jury Clerk at (360) 417-2231 or email us using the "Email Us" button above to request a new one.

Can I bring reading material?

Yes, you are welcome to bring reading material for use during non-court time.



Clerk of Superior Court
Contact Us